Friday, January 29, 2010

Best Kids' Music of 2009: #1 Here I Am! by Caspar Babypants

This is modern folk music at its best, and some of these tunes are destined to become classics. Chris Ballew, formerly of the indie rock band The Presidents of the United States of America, delivers a debut children's album that's full of witty, wordy, silly, gentle, quietly acoustic new traditional tunes. Here I Am!, recorded under the guise of Caspar Babypants, is an endless string of catchy, quiet, and imaginative songs that'll put a smile on your face. It's easy to see that Ballew didn't force the songs, that he didn't set out to write a "children's album:" these are images, tunes, and thoughts that might pop into a real kid's head, making Caspar Babypants' Here I Am! the best kids' music CD of 2009.


7 comments:

Dumb Mom said...

You are officially my hero. So sick of the Backyardigans soundtrack I could hurl. itunes is about to get paid:)

Anonymous said...

I just love this CD. His new one is pretty darned good, too.

Deborah Stewart said...

I love your FAQ's:)

Unknown said...

This album is tasty goodness... I was wanting music that both my wife and I could listen to with our daugther...so I made a music album myself...

www.3ply.org

I have been getting awesome feedback from families on it...so decided to make a website...and now for the month of March...the entire album THE LIGHT SHINES ON... is a free MP3 download...

Warren, can you please download the music and let me know what you think? Thanks...this is my dream :)

Steve L. said...

Caspar Babypants' Here I Am isn't just one of my favorite kids albums of the last year...it's one of my favorite albums period. Full of great songs that don't feel overly sweet or dumbed down. The version of "Monkey River" on the album can hold its own with any alt country song from the last decade in my humble opinion. Interested in checking out your other recommendations. You definitely get a lot of cred in my book for putting Caspar Babypants first.

Anonymous said...

You need to write some new posts...I want my 100$ in two years. xoxo your wife.

friendly toast said...

Caspar Babypants now has a total of 5 albums--ALL of which are fantastic! You may get the songs stuck in your head, but you just don't mind all that much. At least one of these CDs is in the car at all times, at the insistence of my kids(and have been since 2009), and I still like them all.